View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Colt Match Targets and Woodsman-Type Semiautos 

I have a couple of Woodsman Match Targets with elephant ear grips and just recently acquired a Huntsman and a Challenger in their original boxes. Living temporarily in New York and all my firearm literature is stored in Houston. Question: Are there any good reference publications on the Woodsman series other than that "red-bound paperback that was about 8 inches tall and 4 inches wide? Bill N

Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:50 pm

Hello Nelson:

Take a look at CCA member Bob Rayburn's Woodsman site at http://www.colt22.com/index.html . Probably no one on the planet knows more about the Woodsman and the related pistols than Bob. He has also published a Colt Woodsman Pocket Guide now in its 8th edition which is very handy.

The only hardbound book that I am aware of that is solely devoted to the Woodsman series is "Colt Rimfire Automatic Pistols" by E. A. Brink. It has been out of print for many years. Most collectors regard it as a useful but rather outdated reference which unfortunately has a number of errors.

If you have not already done so joining the CCA would be a good step for anyone interested in these guns. The Rampant Colt magazine published by the Association has had a number of interesting articles over the years on the Woodsman and related guns. Most are available in back issues from the Association.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Regards,
Charlie Flick
CCA Life Member
NRA Life Member

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks Charlie. I love the Woodsman series and am accumulating some. I am trying to buy those with original boxes. Bill N

Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]